The Primer covers the basics of llama packing. Topics include:
- Selecting a Pack Llama
- Pre-Trip Planning
- Handler Responsibilities on the Trail
- Handler Responsibilities in Camp
- Purpose and Placement of Pack System Components
- What to Take on a Pack Trip
- How to Properly Load Your Gear
- Basic Llama Skills Required on the Trail
- Basic Llama Skills Required in Camp
- Training the Llama to Accept the Saddle and Panniers
- Safe Ways to Negotiate Obstacles
Insurance requirements necessitate participates being either a Full PLTA member or an Associate member. A five dollar fee covers participation in Packer's Primer events for both the llama (one llama) and its handler. Llamas do not need to be registered with the PLTA. Handlers must be able to control their animals. Adult chaparones are required for participants under the age of 18.
Detailed information describing how to stage a Packer's Primer event and expanding on the detailed requirements may be found in the PLTA Handbook: General Procedures and Regulations for PLTA Sanctioned Events. Contact the PTA Board member in charge of membership for a printed copy.